Sunday, August 11, 2019

FMXLinux first test.

FMXLinux first test.

I did not test the Linux part of the RAD-Studio ecosystem, because every Server-Stuff is running on my Windows Servers. So I never had the need to play with Linux at all.

And I also never thought about Linux as a Desktop System. I have no customers that want to use Linux and also I never tried anything with or on Linux. 

Perhaps that's why I hate OSX and would never use an Apple for development.

But:

Installing Ubuntu in a VM as not a big deal and with some Sudo Stuff it was easy to install the necessary parts and the Paserver.

So a "Hello World" App is running in seconds with no problems.

For the real-test I want some more, so I tried to compile my Store App ~380k LOC with many kinds of FMX stuff in use.

And here I found some problems. Not all the System units have the necessary IFDEF's for LINUX/LINUX64.

So I had to copy System.Notifications, System.Sensors.Components and System.Sensors to my Application directory and provide empty implementations for System.Linux.Notification and System.Linux.Sensors.

Indy is throwing an exception because of the Thread.Nameing-Stuff has also no Linux part. (But this is only in Debug-Mode).

With these little changes my app got compiled and runs on Ubuntu.

Some UI parts like fonts (font size) and Images are not working as expected. I did not track down the Image-Button problem so far. But it looks that everything else is working.

Nice...

Compile and Deploy time is perfect compared to OSX, because both VM's are running at my development PC (5 GHz, Raid 0, M.2).

Because I have no use-case at the moment, I have nothing to test on Linux at the moment...

(Oh wrong! I'm currently developing a Backup-Cloud-store-Cryping Server on the Raspberry Pi, of cause on Android - too bad my only use-case at the moment would be Linux 32 bit on ARM CPU and this isn't supported with Delphi)

Have fun...





No comments:

Post a Comment